Monday, December 22, 2014

Kidzania Take Two

Today was Vivian's first official day of winter break, and by 8:00am she was "bored" and looking for something to do.  Luckily, I had anticipated this and planned a second attempt at Kidzania with some friends.  This would also be my second time driving downtown, and my first without an adult co-pilot.  With my GPS in hand, we set off at 9:30am.

I was fine until we got close to the city.  Then Google started telling me to do things that didn't make sense.  Luckily, there was so much traffic downtown, that I had plenty of time to double check the map and make some course corrections.  The best was when I exited the highway, made a u-turn, and then got back on the highway.  Vivian was in the back seat watching Ponyo, so she only peeped up once to ask if we were there yet.  Luckily, she missed our near death experience.  When I finally got to the correct street, I made a right hand turn onto what I perceived as a one way road, not realizing that there was one lane of oncoming traffic that I had to get across.  I didn't see the bus until it was about a foot from my right hand driver's side window.  Luckily, it saw me, and I guess assumed I was just doing every day Thai driving, because the driver didn't even beep.  After our brush with smush, I drove through a couple parking lots until I found the right one (there are about four buildings in that area with Siam in the name), and then I got a parking spot right near the door (which I regretted later when we came out to find it double parked in, but that's another story that ended fine).

Vivian and I were both better prepared for our second attempt at Kidzania.  We knew there were going to be lines, and we knew there was going to be a certain level of chaos and noise.  With that in mind, I had put Candy Crush on my phone for her to play while waiting 15-20 minutes for her chosen activity.  Possibly not the best solution in the world, but I know perfectly well that my child cannot stand and wait calmly for that amount of time, so it was either yell at her or sedate her with technology.  I went for the second option.

Her biggest regret from the last trip was that she didn't get to be a firefighter, so we went right there and waited for twenty minutes until she got her turn.  First, they had a training session which also seemed to involve stretching.


Parents are not allowed into the training areas, since this is kid land, so we were all clustered outside the window holding up cell phones.  Yes, I am aware that makes me ridiculous, but what's a mom to do?  The funniest was when the kids all got in the firetruck and the parents followed along after it holding up cell phones.  But come on, how cute is this picture?


I think when you become a parent, you just have to relinquish some of your dignity.  It's all about the smile on your kid's face.  She continued to smile while putting out the "fire".


After all that excitement, she just wanted to walk around for a while.  While we were in the main square, a girl in a red Honda jacket walked up to her and asked if she would like to design her own car.  Well, obviously, the answer was yes, so off she went to the Honda dealership.



Her finished car had hearts across the roof and stars on the bumpers.  Honda also had a driving school, but she was just a few centimeters too short to qualify for it.  As we were coming out of the Honda place, we ran into our friends who said they were going to go be doctors and ride in the ambulance.  That sounded good to Viv, so off she went.  She got a little goofy during training


but pulled it together and got to ride shotgun in the ambulance.


The kids rode back to the main square where one of the adults who trained lawyers was laying on the ground.  The kids swarmed around him and poked and prodded him to figure out what was wrong and how to revive him.  The poor guy was a really good sport about the whole thing and played his part well, including thanking them for saving his life, even after they poked him in the face.

After the thrill of being a fire fighter and an EMT, the only place to go was up, to pilot school.


After flying a plane, we broke off from the boy group we were with, so that Vivi could focus on her interest in the performing arts.  First she went to the True (the local cable channel) studio and learned how to operate a camera.


Then she went to singing school.


After some practice time, they went out to perform Christmas carols in the main square.


Finally, she deposited all the money she had made at her various jobs in the bank and got an ATM card for next time.  We were both exhausted and ready to go.  Before we could get back on the highway though, I had to pull one more awesome driving move which involved making a right hand turn across four lanes of heavy traffic with no light, just a man with a reflective vest and a whistle trying to hold back the oncoming horde.  I managed it and didn't even swipe any of the suicidal motorcycle drivers who tried to swerve around me.  Ah, Bangkok.










1 comment:

London: More Museums, Parks, and a Show

We were lucky that the weather held for our last two days in London, so that we could spend as much time as possible walking around and expl...