Sunday, July 13, 2014

Golf Cart and Our First Thai Meal


I've learned how to drive a golf cart!  The one I got us is relatively tame, which I think is best for now.  Apparently, you can get them souped up to reach high speeds, but given the fact that it's a golf cart, I think 20-25 mph is just fine.  It needs a few cosmetic touches, but it's already come in really handy, since we don't have our car yet.



Jeff and Vivi took the golf cart for its first test run around the neighborhood.  Nichada Thani is actually quite large, and we're still working on figuring out where everything is and how to get there.  There's a Starbucks that I think we're going to try and hit today, because apparently they have Starbucks Thailand coffee mugs which we feel we must own.  There's also a club with a gym and a beautiful lap pool that Jeff is excited about.






My big golf cart adventure was on Saturday.  Khun Young, our housekeeper, came on Saturday, and we need several things for her room, the kitchen, and the rest of the house, so our social sponsor suggested taking the golf cart to the mall a few miles outside Nichada.  She also asked if I wanted to drive.  With a jet lagged laced sense of bravado, I said sure.  So my first golf cart driving experience was also my first left hand side of the road in Thailand where two way streets are not necessarily wide enough for two cars driving experience.  The golf cart's small size actually came in very handy for this because I could fit between the car parked in what should have been my lane and the oncoming traffic quite easily.  

My sponsor told me where to go and pointed out stores and restaurants along the way, but I know I'm going to need her to go over it all again, since I was so focused on my driving.

The mall was insane.  First of all, there's a special section for golf cart parking right near the door, which just cracked me up.  The mall itself is seven stories high, and there's an ice skating rink in the basement.  You could probably buy anything you could think of in that mall.  We went to a department store that is almost impossible to describe.  There were also tons of salespeople everywhere to help you.  We bought a rice maker, and they plugged it in and turned it on to show us that it worked.  My sponsor was looking at different hair styling irons, and one of the sales ladies took her over to a counter with mirrors and chairs and did her hair, so that she could see if she liked how it worked.  It was unlike any other shopping experience I have ever had, and I've shopped all over the world.  I definitely have to go back when I'm less jet lagged and less shaky from my crazy golf cart driving experience.

In the evening, Young made us our first meal in our new home (we ordered delivery the night before).  The whole house smelled wonderful and the food was delicious.  I think we're going to be very happy here.


1 comment:

London: More Museums, Parks, and a Show

We were lucky that the weather held for our last two days in London, so that we could spend as much time as possible walking around and expl...