Saturday, September 13, 2014

Safta's Here!

My mom is originally from Israel, so my daughters call her safta which is Hebrew for grandma.  Safta is a world traveler, so when I took her granddaughters and moved around the world, she quickly followed.  She's here for two weeks, and we're so happy to see her.



She got in very late Thursday/very early Friday, but was ready to go on adventures on Friday. She's been to Bangkok a couple times before, but she's never been out in the Nichada area.  I figured the golf cart trip to the mall would be a good start.   We got to the mall right when it opened, and as we were going up on the escalator I caught this picture:


This is a plastic surgery and botox clinic on the beauty services floor of the mall.  Apparently they have a morning meeting before they start sticking things in people's faces.  

Mom was impressed with the mall, and she was especially impressed with the my golf cart driving skills.  Since she liked the golf cart, we used it again in the afternoon.  We went to ISB, because on Friday the PTA sells really good popcorn, and Vivi had a play date after school with a friend, so I offered to get them an after school snack.  I bought a few bags of popcorn, put them in a large ziplock bag, and hid them in Vivi's backpack with a note saying it was for AFTER school.  When her friend's mom picked them up, she said the popcorn was still there.  The kids had a great time playing, and mom came with me to pick Vivi up, in the golf cart of course.


Like any good grandmother, Safta brought plenty of presents for her granddaughters, but the biggest hit was an Elsa costume for Vivian.


To keep with the Disney fairy tale theme, Vivi decided that Safta should watch some Once Upon a Time.  My mom has never seen the show, so we started with episode one, and she is thoroughly enjoying it.

On Saturday, we got off to a lazy start, and then Mom offered to take us to the Nichada club for lunch.  Jeff and I let her and Vivi have the seats facing the water, since we've been there, done that.


Mom and I continued the water theme for dinner.  Some of the ladies in my neighborhood organized a girls' night out for us to all take a dinner cruise on an antique rice boat down the river that runs through Bangkok.  Mom had never done anything like that, so of course, I brought her along.  We had a great night.



There were nineteen women all together, so we sat at a few different tables.  The food was served family style with lots of different dishes to share.



I got to meet some neighbors I hadn't met before, and the sights were lovely from the water.  I'm so glad that my mom was here and got to share it all :-)


1 comment:

London: More Museums, Parks, and a Show

We were lucky that the weather held for our last two days in London, so that we could spend as much time as possible walking around and expl...