Thursday, September 11, 2014

Busy Week

The week started off with something fun, Young's birthday.  We share our food with Young, so while we've been here, I've been noticing what she seems to like the best.  I figured out that she likes blueberry muffins and mexipasta, so Vivi and I made blueberry muffins Sunday night for Young's birthday breakfast on Monday.

Young got up really early and went out on her birthday, but came back before Vivi headed off to school.  When I asked where she had been, she told me she went to feed the homeless out the side gate.  It made me even happier that we had done something for her.  We sang her happy birthday and we all had muffins before Vivi headed out.  For dinner, I made mexipasta and Young ate a big bowl.  Then Vivi asked her if she wanted to watch Frozen.  I told Young she didn't have to, but she was a good sport and sat through the first hour or so.  She hadn't seen it, and since Vivian has it all over her clothes, I guess she wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

In between birthday meals on Monday, I went to the first meeting of After the Boxes (AtB).  It's a group put together by the local church to help people get settled.  They have informational meetings and do outings in the area.  They gave us all a big packet of information, most of which I could have used a couple months ago.  One of the items was a map of how to drive to the mall which just felt cruel given how lost I got with Vivi.  I decided though that I would keep all the materials to have as a welcome packet for whoever I end up sponsoring next summer.

Tuesday was my first day of doing after school tutoring, and I'm really glad that I decided to do it.  I'm working with two boys on alternating days, and it's definitely keeping my skills sharp.

Wednesday I had signed up to be the first "mystery reader" for Vivian's class.  Vivi helped me pick the books.  I read them The Day the Crayons Quit and The Circus Ship.  I started to read The Interrupting Chicken, but, ironically, I was interrupted by the end of the day bell, so I left the book with Vivi's teacher so that she could finish it the next day.

Wednesday was also the day that Young made spring rolls from scratch for me.  I am so spoiled.

First, she got the dough for the outside.


Then she shredded all the veggies and cooked up the meat and garlic.


And finally she wrapped them all up and put most of them in the freezer.  But she cooked up a couple for me to try.




To add to the fun of the day, my friend who drove us to the birthday party last weekend and whose son is friends with Vivian posted this gem on Facebook.


They have a play date Friday, but they decided to wait until they're a bit older to get married.


No comments:

Post a Comment

London: More Museums, Parks, and a Show

We were lucky that the weather held for our last two days in London, so that we could spend as much time as possible walking around and expl...