Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Happy Labor Day!

Jeff gets Labor Day off, but Vivi's school is open, and Young gets Thai holidays, but not American ones, so we basically had the option of a child free day to enjoy each other's company.

To start the day off right, Jeff joined me for my morning walk.  So far, I've been basing the distance of the walk on neighborhood wisdom, but Jeff, of course, brought his phone along and used Google maps to figure out the exact distance.  Turns out my morning walk is four miles!  Way to go me :-)  The time flies when you're having fun though, and I enjoyed showing Jeff the different parts of Nichada I've discovered on my walk.

This has been Jeff's exploration weekend.  On Saturday, he took his first trip to the local barber and got a haircut he was quite pleased with.  Apparently the woman who cut his hair didn't really speak English, but she knew the word shorter.  He said she did most of it with scissors, and it looks good.  The guy before him was getting a shave with a straight razor.  Jeff said it looked like the lady knew what she was doing, but he didn't think he would be going for that option.

On Monday, Jeff took his first trip to our local mall.  I had him drive us there in the golf cart, since that's really the best way to experience the drive, plus golf carts get the better parking spots.  The floors of the mall are themed, so there are clothing floors, a beauty floor, a technology floor, one floor that seems to be cell phones and banks (not sure who decided on that combo), and a couple food floors.  Not surprisingly, Jeff's favorite floor was the technology one.  Not only did they have computers and televisions, but that is also where the camera stores are, and, as a bonus, there were a couple stores selling electric guitars.  Definitely Jeff's floor.

We got back to the hood in time to meet up with our neighbors from across the street to go out for lunch.  He also works at the embassy and had the day off.  We had a slight hiccup in our original plans, since many of the western style restaurants in the area are closed on Mondays, so the beer garden we had originally planned to go to was closed.  Luckily, the restaurant at the club is open every day and serves beer, so the guys were fine with that.  We really enjoyed lunch.  The food was good and the conversation was a lot of fun.

We got home from lunch just a little bit before Vivi came back from school.  She is going through an independent phase, and wants to establish herself as a "big girl", so on Friday she told me not to meet her at the bus.  The problem with this is that the bus monitor wants to make sure someone is actually home before they just leave her, a fact which I appreciate even if Vivi doesn't, so I opened the door to show the bus monitor I was home.  Vivi was not happy about that.  She proceeded to set herself up with her library books on the front steps, and only acknowledged my presence when I offered her food.


I can't complain too much.  Her choice of independent activity is reading :-)

Much as I love my daughters, I'm looking forward to federal holidays that Jeff and I can spend together.  Labor Day was a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

London: More Museums, Parks, and a Show

We were lucky that the weather held for our last two days in London, so that we could spend as much time as possible walking around and expl...