Thursday, May 19, 2016

Brunchtastic

I'm on my two week break between quarters, and so, of course, I've been planning outings with friends.  The problem with busy friends is that I can't get everyone together on the same day, so I ended up with two brunch dates this week, instead of the one I had originally intended to have, not that I'm complaining ;-)

My first brunch was local.  A friend of mine wanted to try a place called Waft Me, which is on our main street out here, Chaengwattana.  It's mostly a waffle place, although they had a full menu of other food as well.  When you're presented with a menu full of delicious, design your own waffle decadence though, it seems wrong not to get a waffle.

For about $5, you get to pick from the following:


One waffle, one ice cream, one sauce, and two toppings.  I got plain waffle, strawberry cheesecake ice cream, raspberry sauce, and strawberries and bananas on top.  Oh. My. Goodness.  It was so good, I almost forgot to take a picture before eating the whole thing.


My chocolate addict friend got the chocolate waffle, which you can see in the picture.  Everyone's looked delicious.  The marshmallows on this one cracked me up.


Vivian loves waffles (and ice cream and candy), so I have promised to take her soon.  In the meantime, I took her to the middle school production of Into the Woods.


It was the junior version, which turned out to be an abridged first act.  The kids did a really good job, and Vivian loved it.  When we got home, we were thinking about watching the full Broadway version, but then Amazon recommended the movie version of Pirates of Penzance.  This show has a special place in my heart, because I was in it in college.  I put it on out of nostalgia, but, much to my delight, Vivian got really into it and watched the whole thing.  I am a very proud mommy.  Even Elena stayed still long enough to eat some popcorn and check out the operatics.  


If Vivian is interested in something, then Elena is interested too.  This can annoy Vivian at times, but she's a good sport about it, and I find it super cute.


Today, I went to my second brunch of the week.  This time it was at Roast, which is downtown.  There are two branches of this restaurant.  One is at Em Quartier, a shopping center on Sukhumvit near the Phrom Phong BTS stop.  That's the one we went to.  There's another one at a shopping center a bit farther down Sukhumvit called The Commons.  Em Quartier has an interesting layout, including a wall of plants and waterfalls accented by peacock statues adorned with flowering tails.


The menu at Roast is extensive, and pretty much everything sounded delicious.  I was torn between the regular eggs benedict, and the eggs benedict with a crab cake.  Luckily, I got one and my friend got the other, so I could taste both.


Turns out if you gain a crab cake, you lose an egg.  The crab cake tasted pretty good, but overall, I would say I prefer the eggs benedict at Chu's.  

There were three of us, and we were torn about several other menu items, so we ordered a bunch of stuff to share including corn and zucchini fritters (more batter than corn or zucchini, but they came with avocado and tzatziki, both of which were delicious),


and fried chicken which had been soaked in buttermilk and hot sauce.


Since Roast is known for its coffee, and since we weren't being decadent enough.  I also got a coffee shake.


That was the only meal I had for the day, but wow, it was quite a meal.  We have a three day weekend now, and the plan is family time and recovering from binge eating.









1 comment:

  1. woo-hoo, brunch! AND Pirates of Penzance! "IiiiiiiiiiiiiamapirateKIIIIIIIIIIIINGGG! And it 'tis, it 'tis a glorious thing to be a pirate king!"

    ReplyDelete

London: More Museums, Parks, and a Show

We were lucky that the weather held for our last two days in London, so that we could spend as much time as possible walking around and expl...