Thursday, June 11, 2015

Saying Farewell to First Grade

Vivi is now a rising second grader!  Today is her first day of summer vacation, so, of course, one of her friends from class is over for a play date.  The school year finished up with all kinds of special activities.  On Tuesday, there was a poetry share.  Vivian and her classmates read poems they had written in their most recent writing unit.  They all did a great job.  I have lots of video, but no pictures, sorry.  Vivian's individual poems were really good, but the one that cracked everyone up was one she wrote jointly with one of the boys in her class, where they listed things they liked, but then the other one said they liked something else.  It was really cute.

The next day I was back for music share.  Students had the option of performing for their final music class of the year.  Vivian had enthusiastically signed up to sing "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?"  She has a great voice, but horrible stage fright, so I wasn't sure how it was going to go.  She started strong by getting up on the stage and introducing herself.


But when it was actually time to sing, she froze.  The music teacher smoothly transitioned to the next act, and after some recovery time, Vivian agreed to sing, but she wanted me to be on stage with her.  I sat on stage and she sang to me, but loud enough for everyone else to hear.  This is actually a big step for her in overcoming her stage fright, so I'm going to view it as a successful performance.

I got a day off of school visits, and then I was back again on Friday when parents were invited to come and watch the final gymnastics practice.  Again, I have mostly video of her running, jumping, rolling, and swinging, but I got a fun shot of her warm up bridge pose.


The following Monday was a pajama read-a-thon.  Vivian decided to read one of her favorites, The Three Ninja Pigs, to some of her friends.


The last day of school was a half day on Wednesday.  It was also crazy hair day.  Vivian and I opted for a bow bedecked hairdo.  


It was a fun finish to a great year :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment

London: More Museums, Parks, and a Show

We were lucky that the weather held for our last two days in London, so that we could spend as much time as possible walking around and expl...