Monday, June 29, 2015

Jet Lag and Elmo

The first week sucked.  The girls wanted to sleep during the day and be awake at night.  I didn't want to deprive Elena of a nap, but when I let her nap, she went into DEEP sleep, to the point where I would put her in a sitting position, and she would just keep on sleeping.  At night, she would refuse to sleep, and would scream at the indignity of being put in her playpen.  The only solution was Elmo.


We spent large portions of the night watching Elmo.  Elena and I are sleeping in the basement, and Vivian is sleeping upstairs in the bedroom next to my parents'.  Vivian showed up in the basement around 2:00am to join the Elmo viewing party.  Day by day, it got better.  But there were still times in the afternoon when Elena clearly wanted to go to sleep, and the only way I could keep her awake was more Elmo.


While I was sitting next to her, trying to tune out Elmo's squeak, I indulged in several junky novels, so that was my silver lining.

By the time we got to the end of the first week, they were both sleeping for most of the night, and enjoying most of the day.  My parents' house isn't exactly toddler proof, but it makes up for it by having grandparents to shower the girls with affection, a piano to experiment on, and playground just a few steps down the sidewalk.  I think we're going to have a good summer here ;-)




No comments:

Post a Comment

London: More Museums, Parks, and a Show

We were lucky that the weather held for our last two days in London, so that we could spend as much time as possible walking around and expl...