Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Thor and the Natural History Museum

My original plan for the week of 4th of July was to send Elena to a chess camp, but she went for one day and calmly told me at pick up that she was never going back.  I know how to pick my battles, so I agreed, but that meant I had to find things for the girls to do for the rest of the week.  Elena also told me that the one thing she was sad about from not doing the chess club was that she was supposed to get her own chess set as part of the camp.  I figured that at least I could remedy, so I got her the kind that folds and holds the pieces inside.  I guess she'd never seen one of those before, because when she saw it, at first she was disappointed and said it was too small.  When I told her to open it up, the look on her face was priceless.


Maximum happiness achieved. 


The only thing that could tear her away from her new chess set was the new Thor movie.


Of course, nothing is ever simple.  The movie was supposed to start at three.  When nothing had come on, not even previews, by 3:15, I went back outside to ask the ticket guy if he knew what was up.  He said his manger was "on the phone" about it.  I did not take this as a good sign.  While I was gone, one of the employees had come in to tell the theater that it would be another 10-15 minutes.  Well, after another 20 minutes he came back and looked like he was a bit afraid for his life, but he told us, there was no way there were going to be able to get the movie up and running for at least another hour.  As an apology, he would give us all vouchers good for any kind of movie, even 3D.  

Everyone in the theater was surprisingly calm about it, except for Elena.  She looked at me and said, you mean we aren't going to see the movie???  Luckily, there was a 3D showing at 4:00, so we waited for our vouchers, walked out, used the vouchers to get tickets for the 3D showing (which still had seats left because it was $20 a ticket normally), and then turned around and walked back in, just in time for the previews.  Catastrophe averted!  And, as a bonus, we all enjoyed the movie.

It's hard to follow up the spectacle of a Marvel movie, but the natural world is pretty spectacular, so the girls were just as excited to be going to the Natural History Museum the next day.


The animals were a hit.


And Elena was especially into the rocks and minerals section.  She's our little rock collector. 


Summer camps certainly make it easier to keep the girls busy, but it's so much fun to watch them discover and enjoy things.  I just need a break in between outings to recover from keeping up with their energy levels.






No comments:

Post a Comment

London: More Museums, Parks, and a Show

We were lucky that the weather held for our last two days in London, so that we could spend as much time as possible walking around and expl...